Sunday, October 28, 2012

Chapter 24: Sharing Some Tall People Love

     The other day I had a great experience that just made me happy. One of those moments that when I'm having a horrible day I can look back on and smile about. I was at MoJava (a coffee house close to Wesleyan) for Kaffeestunde, which is our German coffee hour where a whole bunch of Professors and some students sit around and sprechen in Duestch for an hour (Stunde)- Kaffee, coffee/ hour, Stunde = Kaffeestunde~ yay learning German! I've found that for most German expressions you can keep smashing words together until they describe something and volià [fun fact: volià in French means here it is. yay French!] you've made a new word. Anyway I was putting away my hot chocolate mug (heiße Schokolade) and this gentleman, he was roughly 60ish and about 6' 5" I'd say, came up to me and touched my arm saying, "Excuse me, but I just had to tell you that you wear your height well, it suites you and makes you very beautiful." AHWWW! What do you say to that?? So I just smiled and said Thank you.
     He went on to ask me the usual, "How tall are you exactly? So do you play volleyball or basketball?" I laughed and gushed my familiar routine... blah blah blah. He then went on, "So I assume that you go after the tall ones?" Awkward.... but its only awkward if you make it awkward- so with this complete stranger in the middle of MoJava I quickly explained my philosophy about how I preference my guys: I don't mind as long as they can handle it and not freak out about me being taller, but with that in mind I normally prefer taller guys, its just easier. He just smiled and looked at me and said, "Well I guess you know what to do with all the losers then (insert kicking action here)" then he just walked out saying, "keep your head up and be proud" then left.
      It was so weird and yet awesome it just made the rest of my day even though by this time I had only slept 4 hours of the past 24, midterms they get to you- but I just thought I would share this as another bright light in my daily plight of not being normal. I wouldn't say this guy was the first random person to come up to me and congratulate me on being tall, but normally it's little old ladys that just think I'm neat cause I'm about a foot and a half taller then them. I think this was the first random old man to come up to me... soo that's fun. These moments obviously put me in a good mood and so if I live past 45 then I think I'll be obliged to do the same when I'm old, just keep sharing the tall people love with the next generation- we gotta stick together!

No comments:

Post a Comment